Sunday, January 27, 2013

Guilty Pleasures

We've all seen the pop culture portrayals of Paranormal Investigators, from Ghost Busters to Ghost Hunters. But, I assure you, that my own work in the Paranormal is nowhere near that exciting, there are no Stay Puft Marshmallow Men in my life, and certainly no film crew.

In my early interests in the paranormal, I was drawn to the array of paranormal themed programming on TV, like a moth to a flame. It was fascinating, and I became an avid follower of the Ghost Hunters franchise. My Wednesday evenings were dedicated to sitting in my living room, watching re-runs and anxiously awaiting each new episode. My interests weren't limited to Ghost Hunters, I filled my DVR with episode after episode of Ghost Adventures, My Ghost Story, Dead Files, etc.

But why am I telling you this?

I have encountered people with varying opinions about the paranormal entertainment business, when I first began working in paranormal research I was confronted with an overwhelmingly negative response to my interest in it. I was meant to feel ashamed of the time I've spent watching it. I am not proud to say that I caved, I stopped watching, cleared my DVR, and was even told that uttering the phrase "Ghost Hunter" could mean my removal from the organization I was affiliated with. Ridiculous, I know.

I didn't become a paranormal investigator because I saw it on TV, and I have encountered people who have,  but that's a different topic for another day. In my limited experience as a paranormal investigator, I have found that the TV shows aren't always an accurate representation of what this field is like. I have grown to accept that I can be a legitimate paranormal researcher, and watch the paranormal TV programs. Shows like Ghost Hunters, are for entertainment, I have never nor will I ever use a television show as my manual for how to conduct an investigation or research. But I also like to maintain a realistic, and down to earth approach to all things in my life, and that means accepting that I should never take a "holier than thou" attitude in this field.


So yes, I am admitting to the world, that I too enjoy curling up on my couch on Wednesday evenings with some popcorn and watching some Ghost Hunters.

Don't take life too seriously, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment